Sunday, June 28, 2009
International/diocesan highschool/college and Roman Catholic Seminary- Abbey of Christ The King /Mission, B.C., Canada
- The Seminary of Christ the King is owned and operated by the Benedictine Monks of Westminster Abbey, Mission, British Columbia, Canada.The Benedictines have run the Seminary of Christ the King since 1939.
- Study and teaching have a special place - the monks conduct the Seminary of Christ the King, which is both a high school and a degree-granting arts and theological college where students prepare for the priesthood.
Monday, June 22, 2009
Sir Thomas More, (7 February 1478 – 6 July 1535)Renaissance English writer,Lawyer, Lord chancellor of England and Catholic martyr, in the Tudor court of King Henry VIII.
It is certain that he went to live near the London Charterhouse and often joined in the spiritual exercises of the monks there. He wore "a sharp shirt of hair next his skin, which he never left off wholly" (Cresacre More), and gave himself up to a life of prayer and penance. His mind wavered for some time between joining the Carthusians or the Observant Franciscans, both of which orders observed the religious life with extreme strictness and fervour(at that time). In the end, apparently with the approval of Colet, he abandoned the hope of becoming a priest or religious, his decision being due to a mistrust of his powers of perseverance.
Meanwhile More had made friends with one "Maister John Colte, a gentleman" of Newhall, Essex, whose oldest daughter, Jane, he married in 1505.
More married again very soon after his first wife's death, his choice being a widow, Alice Middleton. She was older than he by seven years.
In October, 1529, More succeeded Wolsey as Chancellor of England, a post never before held by a layman. In matters political, however, he is nowise succeeded to Wolsey's position, and his tenure of the chancellorship is chiefly memorable for his unparalleled success and fair charitable justice as a judge.
Sunday, June 21, 2009
The towering construction of the neo-Gothic old-catholic church and monastery of the Mariavites built in 1911 -- 1914 boldly stands out in the Płock panorama. It is the center of the Polish Mariavite movement. The church plays a role of the cathedral church. In the basement, there are the tombs of Feliksa Kozłowska, the founder of the Mariavite movement and the first Mariavite bishops. Every year on August 15th pilgrims from all over Poland come to the Płock sanctuary.
Sunday, June 14, 2009
A Roman Catholic Benedictine monastery located in the Holy Land celebrates Sunday liturgy using the Missal of Paul VI, mostly in French, but chanting the parts from the Roman Gradual in Latin. Monks and nuns celebrate and sing together. Their church was built in the 12th century by the Crusaders. A nice synthesis of the current rite with the larger monastic tradition